WordPress Security Checklist
Here is a simple checklist for WordPress owners and publishers. WordPress is one of the most popular platforms for websites because of its ease of use, but it has its problems and because of its popularity, hackers use this platform to try to inject their malware and malicious scripts. WordPress protection today has become essential to protect not only your website, but also your brand reputation.
Often WordPress owners are unaware that their website has been hacked. Just because your website is hacked doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll see a strange image when you log in. Hackers often cover up the fact that they hacked your site because they injected a mail robot and spammed from your IP address.
Use our checklist for the basics of good WordPress security
1. Clean and remove spyware, malware and viruses from your PC / Mac before entering the backend of your WordPress installation
2. Archive your website before you do anything, it’s easy to do with Backup Buddy.
3. Never use “administrator” as a username.
4. Always use a strong password.
5. Keep up to date – Make sure your WordPress installation and WordPress plugins are always up to date. See Recent WP Security Updates in the Resources section below.
6. Limit login attempts – Make sure you reduce your login attempts to about 3 attempts. Don’t make it easy for hackers.
7. Remove unwanted WordPress themes – When the themes are still on your website and are outdated Hackers use them to gain access. Only install the theme you are using and keep it up to date.
8. Spring cleaning – Your WordPress website may have other folders at the root of your server. Do you really need them or are they areas of development. If you do not need the folders, delete them.
9. Your hosting company – Make sure you use a hosting company that specializes in WordPress installations. WordPress servers need special care to protect your website.
10. Two-layer authentication – Use an extra layer of security.
Although the list above is not exhaustive, it is a basic level of security. Protection is the beginning of the process, daily monitoring of your website is important. We recognize that many website owners simply do not have the time or knowledge, so we provide 3 services that can be found in the resources section below.
We hope you found this checklist useful.